Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hit me with your best lunch (or snack)!

Things have been a little quiet around here, so let's mix it up! A while ago I remember someone posting favorite breakfast recipes and the rest of us sharing in the comments section. Breakfasts are pretty easy and standard around here, but I find we have a hard time sticking to healthy but quick & easy lunches and snacks. So, let's share! What's your favorite lunch or snack with the kids?

I'll start things off. For lunches, beyond the old standard of PB & J we also really like Dutch pancakes (or oven pancakes). These can be made with fruit for a sweeter version or with veggies for a savory version.

Preheat oven to 400F
Melt 1 Tbs butter into cast iron pan or 9" pie pan

In bottom of pan spread evenly:
(sweet) 2 apples, peeled and sliced thinly. Bake til soft, about 10 min. Sprinkle 2 tsp sugar and dash of ground cinnamon across.
OR
(savory) 3/4c steamed asparagus or wilted greens with garlic.

Mix til smooth:
3/4c milk
2/3c flour (I use whole wheat)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
(for sweet version add: 2 tsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla)

Pour over ingredients at bottom of pan. Bake til puffed and golden brown, 20-25 min. For savory version, sprinkle shredded cheese over top and serve. For sweet version, dust with powdered sugar and serve (or serve with warm honey or maple syrup).

3 comments:

Observer said...

Oh my God, I have discovered the most delicious thing: tuna quesadillas. In a bowl, you mix about a can of tuna, 1 1/2 ounce cream cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, some diced green onions, and some diced red peppers (any veggies/onions are fine, I'm sure). Then put the mixture between 2 10 inch tortillas. Fry it in a pan with butter. It oozes a bit so be careful when flipping it. I "discovered" this on a package of hickory smoked tuna. I add liquid smoke to regular tuna from a can for the same taste.

Dawn D. Lion said...

I like dutch pancakes - I think I'm making that + sausage for dinner tomorrow.

Our lunch is usually whatever leftovers we have, or a sandwich. (I like tuna, tomato and cheese, or egg salad.) Tacos are a favorite too - more simplified than what I would make for dinner: beans from the can if I don't have any made, plus cheese or rice.

Heather M. said...

Oh no, is everyone as unimaginative at lunchtime as I am? Sylvia lives off of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. We've do occasionally branch out to apples with peanut butter or yogurt with honey, granola and berries. One thing that she devours at dinner and would make a super easy lunch is a simple fritata with whatever veggies you have on hand.