Friday, January 2, 2009

Super Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Icing

Ok, I know folks around here aren't so into the baked goods. But. It's January and we've got a few months of cold, hard, gloomy weather and what's better than chocolate for getting through that, right? So I thought I'd share the recipe for this cake my friend made for me when Grace was born. It's really good (she always makes it for new babies- as an excuse to eat some herself, lol!)

Cake:
Mix together:
1 3/4 c. flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt

Add to dry ingredients:
2 eggs
1 c. strong coffee
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla

Mix for 2 minutes. Pour batter into 2 round cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350'. Cool completely then frost with buttercream frosting.

Frosting:
6 T butter, softened
2 2/3 c powedered sugar
1/2 t. + 3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 t. vanilla
4-5 T milk

Beat sugar, butter, & cocoa powder together until smooth and creamy. Add milk & vanilla and mix til smooth. If too thick, thin with a little more milk.

3 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

I will proudly step up as being into baked goods. :P
This sounds delicious. I like the cup of coffee element.

Christina said...

This is my kind of cake! I have made a similar one and it is INCREDIBLE! I'll be trying out this recipe next time I have the occasion, like, I don't know, I'm in the mood for cake! ;)

Christina said...

I'm making this tomorrow for Brian's big 3-0!