Thursday, January 29, 2009

Whole Wheat chocolate cake

I really wanted to make a cake today with Hugo, but alas, we were without a car and lacking lots of staple cake ingredients. I scoured the internet until I found this recipe whcih was close enough to what I had to make. I made some substitutions - the original called for sour cream, but thats just not something I would ever have. So I subbed whole fat yogurt. If you have more time and some cheese cloth I think the recipe would be even better if you drained the yogurt for about 30 minutes. Or, if its a new container use the creamy stuff on the top or use labneh.

Anyway, this cake is wonderful!! I really like eating whole-grain treats - it helps me avoid sugar triggered migraines and helps avoid those crazy blood sugar swings you get with all white-carb treats. I like the taste of whole wheat too. But this is definitely decadent treat food. No applesauce instead of butter here. I imagine it would be good with sucanat or maple syrup too.

Decadent Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

* 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
* 1 1/4cups sifted organic whole wheat pastry flour
* 2 tsp baking soda (1 tsp if you are using sourcream)
* 1/4 tsp sea salt
* 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
* 1 1/4 cup natural brown sugar, lightly packed
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 1/2 plain whole milk yogurt
* 1/2 cup boiling water

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Grease and flour a 9” cake pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
3. Melt the chocolate and then allow it to cool slightly. Be careful to not allow it to harden.
4. Beat the butter and sugar for two minutes. Add the eggs and beat for an additional two minutes. Beat in the vanilla and cooled chocolate.
5. Gradually stir in the sifted flour mixture in approximate thirds, alternating each time with 1/4 cup of the yogurt.
6. Stir in the boiling water. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Do not overbake this cake! Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

I frosted this with an almond butter frosting. Its great. Mix powdered sugar, almond butter and butter to taste. Add milk to get the consistency you want. You can also beat in a spoon-full of coco-powder of an ounce or so of melted bittersweet chocolate. I think I used about 1/2 cup almond butter 1/2 c butter 1c powdered sugar. Not really sure though. I ended up adding more butter at the end.

3 comments:

Sonya Patterson said...

Oh, this just sounds so good. I'll have to try it and see if it will satisfy Al's sweet tooth. It's tough to get healthy things into him. I usually have to sneak it in. He really is like a big kid in that way.

2WeeMonsters said...

Did you use chunky almond butter for the icing? I only have chunky on hand and want to try it but somehow it doesn't seem right...

Linsey said...

no, but I probably would. I guess you could pulse it for a minute in the the food processor and get the chunks out?