Sunday, March 8, 2009

Palak Paneer (Spinach in Cottage Cheese)

Slightly westernized Indian from Extending the Table. Like everything else I make regularly, it's easy - I like it b/c when I plan on making it, I just have to grab some frozen spinach and a carton of cottage cheese at the store. (You know those grocery trips where you didn't feel like planning meals, so you plan as you go when you are in the store?)

Heat in saucepan:
2 T. oil

Add:
1 large onion, chopped
1-inch piece of ginger, grated, or 1/2 t ground ginger
Fry until golden brown.
Add:
1 lb spinach, chopped
1/8 t red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
1-inch piece cinnamon stick
Cook about 10 minutes.
Add:
1 tomato (chopped)(I use canned diced)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 c. water

Cook about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. When serving, sprinkle w/:
1/2 t ground cumin. Serve over rice.

No comments: