Friday, March 13, 2009

Couscous and other quick foods.

I'm loving couscous lately because it takes 5 minutes, I just throw some mixed frozen or fresh vegetables in the same pot it cooks in. Top with parmesan, olive oil, salt and pepper. Yum. Other quick foods that are whole foods:

- same as above, only with pasta.

- grilled cheese made with pineapple salsa. I made this up yesterday to make grilled cheese more exciting, and it was good!

- omelets with whatever leftovers thrown in.

- I often have leftover beans and rice b/c we eat that a lot. the quick food version is throwing in the leftover bean/rice mixture w/ cheese in the oven to make burritos.

So what do you make that fits this category?

4 comments:

Linsey said...

Hugo LOVES whole wheat cous-cous with braggs. Yum!
We do beans and cheese quesadillas pretty often when we just need something to eat fast. I'm pretty bad about making beans in advance, and I hate using canned beans, but boy is it convenient. And cheaper than eating out I try to remind myself.

When we have fresh veggies in the backyard, I like simple meals of veggies and grains. I can;t wait!

Heather M. said...

Pesto cubes are great for quick meals. I thaw them, add the cheese and pour over pasta and throw in some frozen green beans or peas. You could also throw in leftover chicken. The whole thing takes about as long as it takes the pasta to cook. And it's pesto! Does it get any better than pesto? I think not.

Dawn D. Lion said...

oh, I never thought of freezing pesto in cubes. Will have to try that.

Heather M. said...

Omit the cheese if you are going to freeze pesto. You can then add it straight to the dish.