Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Curried Squash with Winter Greens

This soup smells amazing when it cooks and is packed with nutrition. My whole family loves it! A great way to use up the last of the harvest from the garden.

1 T. canola oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
1 T. curry powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 c. peeled, diced butternut squash (I didn't measure, just used a whole one.)
5 c. water (You could use veg or chick broth for more flavor.)
2-3 c. coarsely chopped spinach, chard, or kale (I didn't measure this either, just used 1 bunch of kale.)
2 carrots, shredded (optional-this was my addition for more nutrition and a little sweetness.)

In a large saucepan (I used my cast iron dutch oven), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute over low heat. Add the squash and water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. (While simmering, I shredded the carrots directly into the pot.)
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the squash is tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the greens and cook for 10 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor fitted with a steel blade (or to a blender) and process until smooth, about 10 seconds. (I used my immersion blender.)
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve at once.

2 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

This sounds yum. I definitely want to make this.

2WeeMonsters said...

We had this tonight (yes, we still have butternut squash from last fall) and it was really good. I think it would work well also as a vegetarian curry over rice if you doubled the tomatoes and cut out the water.