Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pumpkin biscuits

I love anything pumpkin, especially in Fall, so I was excited to try these. They are very yummy! Like any biscuit, just remember to not overwork the dough. I did because the dough was stickier than I would have liked, maybe because I was out of butter and had to use margarine? Anyway, still tasty-I served mine with a roast chicken dinner.

1 and 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. plus 1 and 1/2 tsp cold butter, divided
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/3 c. buttermilk

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in 1/2 c. butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. (I used a drinking glass.) Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 425 for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over the biscuits. (I skipped this step.) Serve warm.
*We've been enjoying the leftovers toasted in the morning for breakfast.
Yield: 6 biscuits

No comments: