Tuesday, February 3, 2009

German Pot Roast

We had this Sunday and it quickly became Ava's favorite food! I've never seen her eat like that before! The tender meat and small chunks of potatoes make it very baby-friendly. This is from "Fix-It and Forget It Lightly", which I've been relying on a lot lately. This makes a hearty, satisfying meal that's also pretty healthy. 

Makes 12 servings/Ideal slow-cooker size: 5 quart

2 lbs boneless, lean pork roast (I used a smaller one)
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium-sized onions, sliced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
14 1/2-oz. can low-sodium tomatoes

1. Place pork roast in slow cooker. (I did not trim the fat off mine. It made the meat juicier and more flavorful. Some larger pieces of fat came off during cooking and I discarded them.)
2. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
3. Add remaining ingredients.
4. Cover. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-8 hours.

2 comments:

Sonya Patterson said...

This sounds good but we don't do pork around here. Do you think we could sub lamb or beef?

Christina said...

Oops! Just saw your post! I don't see why another kind of meat wouldn't work. Let me know how it turns out!