Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lentil-Tomato Stew

I have this cooking now and it smells amazing! I put it together in 5 minutes or so when I first got up. Looks like it will make a lot of yummy, healthy food. (One serving has 16 g. of fiber!) It also happens to be vegan. I'm thinking I'll make cornbread to go with it.

3 c. water
28-oz can low-sodium peeled Italian tomatoes, undrained (I couldn't find these so used 2-14 1/2-oz cans of Italian diced tomatoes.)
6-oz. can low-sodium tomato paste
1/2 c. dry red wine
3/4 tsp. dried basil
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 lb. dried lentils, rinsed and drained with any stones removed
1 large onion, chopped
4 carrots, cut in 1/2" rounds
4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2" slices
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt (I used less)
fresh basil or parsley, chopped, for garnish

1. Combine water, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, red wine, basil, thyme, and crushed red pepper in slow cooker.
2. (If using whole canned tomatoes) Break-up tomatoes with a wooden spoon and stir to blend them and the paste into the mixture.
3. Add lentils, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
4. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
5. Stir in the salt. (Oops! I put this in this morning!)
6. Serve in bowls, sprinkled with chopped basil or parsley.

1 comment:

Heather M. said...

This was great!!! So flavorful! I made it on the stove instead of in the slow-cooker. It lasted us 3 dinners and 3 lunches.