Saturday, May 9, 2009

Teff Peanut Butter Cookies

This is from the package of Bob's Red Mill Teff flour and I think the recipe is by Leslie Cerier. Joe has made these a handful of times for us at the farm and they are super yummy! I haven;t yet but plan to try them with buckwheat since I tend to have that on hand vs teff.

1 1/2 c. teff flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter

preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an ungreased cookie sheet. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a food prcessor, blend syrup, oil, vanilla & peanut butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and blend well. Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Place on cookie sheet and flatten gently with the tines of a fork. Bake 13-15 mintes. Cool on a wire rack. Yields 24 cookies.

6 comments:

Observer said...

What is teff??

2WeeMonsters said...

it's a flour made from a grass that is found in Africa (and other places, I'm sure). It's used to make injera in Ethiopian cooking. It's also pretty packed nutritiously and high in protein. And yummy! (I didn't know much of this either until I asked when Joe brought his first batch of cookies to share).

Sonya Patterson said...

I looked for teff flour today at the grocery store. To be honest though, I was at Schnucks, but the one in Ladue and it has a fairly large selection on Bob's products. Do you know where I could find it?

2WeeMonsters said...

I've only seen it at health food stores (whole foods, etc). Buckwheat did work as a substitute but it's not as finely ground as teff so the texture was a bit strange.

Sonya Patterson said...

Maybe i could process it a bit to a finer consistency. Would that mess with the measurements at all?

2WeeMonsters said...

I just realized that I left off the maple syrup on this recipe. Sorry to anyone who made it and they tasted terrible! They're quite nice with the addition of the syrup!