Monday, December 14, 2009

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos

Christina posted a version of these burritos a year ago but this version involves no slow cooker. Besides, I always like to see variations on recipes, so I thought I'd share my version here, too. I calculated the cost of this meal while we were eating it and I was so pleased to discover that (excepting spices, which I always have on hand) I fed the four of us with plenty of leftovers (2 lunches worth) for $5.50 and that's including good cheddar and canned beans. Plus it's fast... you can't beat that!

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & diced (about 3 cups)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2c black beans cooked (or one can, rinsed)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt to taste

8 flour tortillas, warmed
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar

Directions:
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter and saute onions til clear. Add sweet potatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder. Cook til sweet potatoes are soft, using apple juice or water to keep them from sticking to pan. When sweet potatoes are done, add beans and salt to taste. Cook til beans are heated through. Serve with warmed tortillas and cheese. You can add sour cream, salsa, avocado and/or cilantro as garnish if you wish! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

Sweet! This is lunch today.

Christina said...

Great variation! There are days the slow-cooker is the way to go, other days I just can't plan that far ahead or am not home at the right time. Thanks for sharing!

dorima said...

it's rare that I can follow a list of ingredients and proclaim "I have all this in my house" w/o having to run to store, this is dinner tonight! thanks