Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bittman's No-Knead Bread

This is the version Linsey posted ages ago that many of us have made dozens of times. Easy-to-make, but takes some advance planning. Sylwinn has had success using whole-wheat flour.

3 c. flour
1 and 5/8 c. water
slightly less than a T. of salt
1/4 tsp. yeast

Mix the above together. It will be much wetter than a typical bread dough. Cover bowl and let sit for 16-20 hours. Dough should be at least doubled and bubbly.

Flour (or cornmeal) a board. (If your dough is super-wet, you will need to use quite a bit of flour.) Scrape or peel the dough onto the board and fold in half. Cover with a floured towel (not terry-cloth) and let rise until doubled, 1-2 hours.

An hour before your bread is done rising, preheat your oven to 450. After oven is hot, place your cooking pot (I use a cast-iron dutch oven, Linsey uses a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot) with lid in the oven empty.

When you are ready to bake the dough, remove the pot from the oven and quickly plop the dough into the pot. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

5 comments:

2WeeMonsters said...

I am so glad you posted this! It's been on my to-do list for a while. :) I actually have made this with 100% whole wheat flour- I think the trick is 2-part: I use whole wheat pastry flour and I store it in the freezer to keep the oils fresh. I also like to add a 1/2 cup of wheat germ (or use wheat germ as the last step).

Linsey said...

I tried to make this once with half King Arthur white-wheat and it stuck BADLY to the pan. Like wheatpaste stuck.

Anywho, I am going to make two of these NOW for haloween snack-supper.

Linsey said...

Also, Sylwinn, what is up with WW pastry flour? It says on the bag to "use with recipes that call for baking powder and baking soda as leavening agents". I've always taken this to mean that its no good for yeast breads. So I always use it for pancakes and whatnot, but not real bread. Thoughts?

2WeeMonsters said...

hnh, I don't know! I've always thought it was just a finer grind. I honestly can't really believe that mine is pastry flour because I frequently come across half-ground wheat kernels. I've used mine for yeast recipes as well, though I haven't used this batch for any breads. I'll have to note if there's a difference in quality!

cappy said...

Add a few tablespoons of vital wheat gluten if you use wheat flour. Helps it rise.