Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Turkey Tortilla Soup

This is a great way to get a second meal out of a roasted chicken or turkey. We have this every year the day after Thanksgiving, and many, many other times throughout the year, too. I rarely have as much meat as they call for, and it turns out fine. I find soup to be very adaptable. Very quick and easy but satisfying meal. Easy to make with "mommy-brain"-you hardly even have to measure anything!

1 T. vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
1 box (32 oz) chicken broth
2 c. frozen corn kernels (you can use leftover cooked corn, just throw it in at the last second)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin (or more to taste)
Possible Garnishes:
tortilla chips, shredded cheese, diced avacado, sour cream, lime wedges, chopped cilantro

In large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except tortilla chips and garnishes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Ladle into bowls. Top with broken tortilla chips and garnish as desired.
This is a Dierbergs recipe.

4 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

I've been a tortilla soup fiend lately. It's the perfect fall soup. This one sounds more substantial than the one I've been making, so I will try it.

Linsey said...

This looks awesome, and so easy.

I was watching America's Test Kithen once and they said that the secret ingredient in tortilla soup is roasted tomatoes. And when you can't actually roast tomatoes, you can use a little bit of a can of "chipolte chiles in adobo sauce." I always have a little adobo/chipolte in the freezer, and yes, it makes it extra yummy.

I have a great tortilla soup recipe around here somewhere that I will try to find.

Dawn, did you ever get tortilla soup from that joint next to the laundromat on 43rd and Duval? Yummy!

Observer said...

I'm going to try this one, too. I love eating substantial soups this time of year. What kind of stuff do you serve along with this?

Christina said...

Mandy, we add so much on top of our soup-avacado, chips, cheese, lime wedges-that it makes a whole meal! Cornbread would be good with it. Or maybe a southwestern type green salad?
I wanted to say also that when I have little to no meat to add, I put in another can of beans. That works fine, too.