Monday, October 27, 2008

Slow-cooker Bread

I can't always get this to rise well, but it's got super quick prep, is quite healthy, and a good bread to make in summer since it doesn't use the oven.
1 T. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk OR buttermilk
1/2 c. rolled oats
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. oil
2 T. honey
1 egg
1/4 c. wheat germ
2 and 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
Grease deep metal or glass bowl or 1-lb. coffee can. (I have the cake insert for my crockpot, but it's not required.) Turn slow-cooker on High to preheat. 
Dissolve yeast in water. Combine with milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg, and wheat germ. Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in prepared bowl or can, covered loosely with foil. Pour 1/2 c. water in preheated slow-cooker. Place trivet or crumbled foil in bottom; set bowl on trivet. Bake, covered, for 3 hours. Top of bread will not necessarily brown. Yield: 12 servings. From: Whole Foods for the Whole Family (LLL)

5 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

Could you use a loaf pan for the metal bowl? I'm trying to picture all this fitting in my crock pot.
My old housemate had that LLL cookbook, I really liked it.

Christina said...

I would think any heat-resistant pan that fits in your crock pot would work. If you have an oblong-shaped crock-pot, it seems like a loaf pan would work great!

Observer said...

Why do you need to put something in the crock pot? Why can't the bread be just right there in the crockpot?

Christina said...

I'm not sure why it need the set-up but I've never tried it any other way. I assume the bottom might get too done without the water and foil keeping it up off the crockpot.

2WeeMonsters said...

Mandy, usually with crock-pot breads they are steamed rather than baked. So you have to have a water bath for it to rise & cook properly. (It would also get really messy trying to get the bread straight out of the crockpot!!)