Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fried Okra and Potatoes

This is a recipe I got in our recent CSA. We had it recently and it is now my favorite way to eat Okra.

1 lb. young Okra pods
1 Onion, finely diced
1 T. Salt
2 Large Potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 C. Cornmeal
Oil for Frying
2 pints of ice water
salt and pepper for seasoning, to taste.

Top and tail the Okra pods. Cut the pods into approximately 1/4" rounds. Place the sliced Okra into a glass bowl and sprinkle the salt liberally over the pods. Cover the pods with the ice water, making sure all the slices are under water. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and leave for 2 or more hours. Remove the bowl and drain off salt water.
Place the Okra in a bowl and add the potatoes and chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper. Place the sliced Okra, potatoes and onion mixture together with the cornmeal in a large plastic bag and shake until the vegetables are well coated by the cornmeal.
Heat some oil (1/2 inch deep) in a frying pan until it begins to shimmer. Place the vegetables in the pan and fry until the potatoes are done and the mixture has browned nicely. Remove the Okra and Potato mixture from the oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot as a side dish.

My notes:
I added 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika to the cornmeal before coating the vegetables. I think it made a big difference (or you could use your favorite spice).

1 comment:

Dawn D. Lion said...

Cool. I never, never get okra b/c I've never had any idea what to do with it. I'll keep this in mind!