Monday, October 27, 2008

Cornbread Chilli Mac Pie

I made this tonight and it was so yummy and probably cost about $2.50 to make. It was inspired by a meal that Dori and Phil brought to me when I had William. I think it was Phil who made it.

1 package of cornbread mix
1 15 ounce can of chilli
1 small can of creamed corn (maybe 10 ounce?)
About a one serving amount of macaroni or penne noodles

Cook the noodles and mix the cooked noodles with the chilli. Make the cornbread according to the directions except instead of adding the milk or water, put in the can of creamed corn. Grease a pie dish and then spread in the chilli/noodles mixture. Spread the cornbread/creamed corn batter on top. Cook according to the cornbread mix's directions except add about 10 minutes to that time. Once the top of the pie is golden brown, it should be done. Use a fork to make sure the top isn't mushy. Serve and top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, etc. if desired.

3 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

Wow, this sounds a lot like something my mom used to make. Mmmmm, comfort food. For me its casseroles, always.

Observer said...

Maybe we should share recipes that are especially cheap... involving beans, canned goods, etc. I know that several of the ones posted already are very cheap.

R said...

I think that's a good idea. I grabbed the stuff to make this when I went to the store yesterday. (And still stayed in budget).