Friday, October 24, 2008

West African Groundnut Stew

(I really like this but I have had to alter this recipe a bit. I'll put my changes in parenthesis. I got this from another New Roots person. It's also pretty changeable with the sauce being the only real constant).

Heat ½- 3/4 cup canola oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Chop together and cook in the oil

* 3 - 4 tomatoes
* 2 large onions
* 2 fresh hot peppers (or 1 teaspoon cayenne)

Add 2 cups tomato juice (or water). When it is beginning to simmer, add

* 1½ - 1 3/4 cups good peanut butter (I found this to be overwhelming so I prefer it with 3/4c)
* 2 Tablespoons tomato paste.
(if you're using meat now is when to add it. Chicken is traditional but beef could work. Or goat.)

Turn the heat to low, and keep cooking.

When it's been simmering for a while, add

* 1 eggplant, cut into small cubes (I didn't have any so I didn't use it)
* and other vegetables you might like, such as yams, potatoes, green beans, squash of any variety, etc.

Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender. Serve on a bed of rice or other grain.

My notes:
Add the veggies before adding the PB. PB burns quickly and I ALWAYS burn it if I add it first. So as soon as the veggies are near to done, then I mix in the PB. Oh and use a good PB because it tastes gross if you're using Jiff or whatever.

3 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

Good with 2 jalepenos for the pepper component. :)
Other adaptions: tomato sauce subbed for juice/paste.
Also I had leftover white rice that I just stirred in as part of the soup - that worked well.

Linsey said...

wow, thats a lot of oil

Dawn D. Lion said...

Yeah I don't think I used that much.

I've made this several times since you posted Sylwinn!