Friday, October 24, 2008

Black Bean Soup

I got this one off of mothering.com, also.

Black Bean Soup

1 C tomato salsa
3 C cooked black beans (or 2 (15oz) cans)
2 C chicken stock
1 tsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream (optional)

Heat salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Stir in beans and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer soup, covered, for 15 minutes. Let soup cool slightly, then ladle half of it into a food processor or blender and puree it. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro and heat the mixture through.

Mandy's take on it: I never bother to puree the soup and rarely use cilantro or lime. This soup is so easy and delicious. It tends to be much better with unsalted beans (not most cheap cans of beans). I sometimes put frozen corn in it, also, and serve it with cornbread. I seriously could eat nothing but this soup and cornbread for a week.

3 comments:

Linsey said...

You need an immersion blender. Best kitchen invention ever.

2WeeMonsters said...

I absolutely adore my immersion blender. So much so that I've actually burned the motors out of two and need a new one! I don't know what to do without it!

Observer said...

Wow... I had never heard of an imnmersion blender but I just read the wiki for it... and man, that sounds really really cool! I threw out both my blender and my food processor simply because they were getting really nasty and I didn't feel like cleaning them. I hate messing around with regular blenders/food processors. Can you make hummus with an immersion blender?