Monday, November 24, 2008

100% Whole Wheat Bread

I found this recipe online this weekend (can't find the link now). It is so yummy and soft! It's making a good sandwich bread, too (a little dense and chewy, but not so thick you'll choke).

2c milk
1/4c light brown sugar (I used sucanat and I'm sure you could use honey, too)
1 tsp salt
1/4 c butter
1 c warm water (between 105' & 115')
2 pckg dry active yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
8c whole wheat flour (NOT pastry flour)

1) Heat milk til hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add sugar, salt & butter. Stir til blended. Set aside and allow to cool til lukewarm.

2) Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add lukewarm milk mixture & mix together.

3) Add 4c. of flour. Beat vigorously until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour. Mix last bit with hands until dough is stiff. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 minutes until smooth & slightly elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl. Turn dough so greased portion is up. Cover & allow to rise til doubled in size (roughly 1 hour at 85').

4) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into two equal balls. Cover & let rest for 10 minutes.

5) Take one ball & cut in half, forming 2 pieces. Roll each piece into 12" long strips. Twist strips together, making a rope. Roll rope into a ball and mold ball into a loaf pan. Repeat with other half of dough. Cover both pans and let rise for an hour or til dough reaches sides of pan.

6) Bake in a preheated 400' oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool on cooling rack. **Optional: brush tops of loaves with melted butter when fresh from oven.

----------------
My notes:
I found I only used maybe 7 cups of flour. I also had to knead this for closer to 10 minutes before I felt like it was smooth enough and had enough elasticity. This may have to do with strength, counter height, etc. Just keep kneading til it feels right (helpful, I know, but kneading time has more to do with how the dough feels than with the actual time on the clock). I put my baking stone on the bottom rack of the oven when I preheated the oven. This helps the oven to maintain an even cooking temperature after I open the oven to put the loaves in. It also shortened the cooking time by at least 8 minutes. And it's super yummy. I'll be (hopefully) making this a lot this winter!

No comments: