Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Smoked Salmon Pasta

Around the house, we actually refer to this as "Salmon Stuff." It is one of the only things that my husband can cook and he has his technique down! Especially if you have plenty of tasty smoked salmon, it is really hard to screw this recipe up.

4-8 ounces of smoked salmon (not the pink lox that you put on bagels, the more solid stuff with a meaty texture... we like the Whole Foods smoked salmon the best but it is horribly expensive)
2 servings of penne noodles
2-3 green onions
1 small shallot
A little bit of olive oil
A few big spoonfuls of sour cream (maybe 3 heaping tablespoons)
A few squirts of dijon mustard

While noodles are boiling, dice green onions and shallot. Cut salmon into large chunks. Fry the diced shallot in olive oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add sour cream and dijon mustard and mix around. Mix the sauce and the salmon with the cooked noodles. Then add the green onions and serve.

I also like to add diced tomatoes and even chunks of avocado but Jason almost always prevents me from doing so. I like a lot of vegetables and color in my food. Jason says that creamy sauce and tomatoes don't go together. I pointed out that Applebee's does it with their fettucine alfredo but he was unswayed.

2 comments:

Linsey said...

This sounds yummy. I'm going to get some smoked salmon at trader jos next time and give this a try. Have you tried it on whole wheat noodles?

Observer said...

I haven't used whole wheat; I mainly use the omega-3 infused noodles that taste like regular noodles. If I used whole wheat, I'd probably be sure to add lots of stuff in order to cover the taste of the noodles. I think TJs has some reasonably priced smoked salmon.