Monday, November 3, 2008

Whole Wheat tortillas

I admit that I usually don't measure this, but here is an approximation. You can also use this basic recipe to make chapatis for Indian food - in that case its yummy to mix in some cardomon (sp?) seeds or I guess you could do cumin and black mustard.

2 cups whole wheat flour (white-wheat from king arthur works great)
.5-1 tsp salt I like them saltier.
2 T oil. You can use olive oil, plain oil or lard.
apx. 1/2 cup warm tap water
*optional* 1 tsp baking powder

Combine dry. Add oil. Add water a bit at a time until its like bread dough. Knead for a couple minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes to half an hour. Roll out on floured surface. This makes a huge number or tortillas actually. like 25 or something, taco sized.

Cook on hot, heavy bottomed pan. They should puff up. Excess flour will scorch and burn tortillas, so its a good idea to brush the pan out after every batch. Flip and cook a few more seconds until done. I usually the put them in a covered dish until I've cooked all the dough. Kid friendly activity/recipe.

No comments: