Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Veggie Burgers

I used to make these a lot when I was in college. It's a good way to make a whole lot of really cheap healthy food. I also used this stuff to make "meatballs" for pasta or "meat" to put in lasagna. This recipe will make a whole lot. I would probably do about a fourth of it if making for the first time just to see if you like it.

2 cups TVP
1 1/2 cup boiling water
2 Tbl Ketchup
2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp marjoram
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine the ingredients above and let sit for 10 minutes

1/2 cup carrot
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup scallion (can substitute something else that's oniony or omit and use more of the carrot/celery)
1/4 cup parsley

Mince ingredients above by hand or in food processor. Add to TVP

1/2 cup gluten
1/4 cup flour

Mix gluten and flour. Add this to the TVP veggie mix. Form patties and fry in oil.

1 comment:

Linsey said...

Thanks for posting this! If I ever remember to buy TVP I'll give this a try.