Thursday, November 6, 2008

Slow Cooker Sausage & Peppers

This is an all time favorite in my house. In fact, maybe I'll make it this weekend. It's good old fashioned Italian soul food :) The recipe calls for serving with crusty rolls (which is our favorite, but an expensive option) or buttered egg noodles. We've also had it over just about every grain: quinoa, brown rice, couscous, etc. From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker a favorite slow cooker cook book :)

3 large bell peppers, assorted colors, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 Tablespoon thyme
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds assorted sausages
1/2 cup dry red wine

  1. Put the peppers in the slow cooker. Add onion and garlic and toss to combine. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt & pepper and all of the thyme.
  2. IN a large skillet, heat oil. Brown all of the sausages on all sides, pricking with a fork. Place on top of vegetables in cooker. Add wine to skillet & deglaze pan. Pour into cooker. Cover & cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve hot.
My notes:
This can be made with double the amount of peppers. The onion is nice sliced in long chunks, just cook a couple minutes first to take the weird onion-slow-cooker-taste away. Beer works fine instead of red wine (and I'm much more likely to have beer in the fridge). Can be cooked on HIGH for 3-4 hours instead, which is good since I almost never have thought about dinner 8 hours in advance!!

3 comments:

Dawn D. Lion said...

this sounds awesome, and easy.

Linsey said...

Okay, thank you for identifying the onion slow-cooker taste. How wierd! I made this last weekend adn there was the strangest taste. That must have been it. Any idea why this happens?

2WeeMonsters said...

I know it's such a weird gross taste and can just about ruin the dish for me. I don't know why it happens, but I'm glad I read how to take the edge off. It never seems to go completely away (at least I can still get the undercurrent of it) but it makes it A LOT better!