Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Mexican Style Green Chile Sauce

For those of us who like flavors of the southwest. Linsey asked what I meant by green chiles, though and I'm sorry to tell you I don't know. I've only gotten these kinds of chiles in the southwest and they've always been labeled simply "green chiles". I have a friend who sends me some from Texas every year and I've tried using the long green chile peppers from the grocery store (that look like dark green "banana" peppers) but I've never used only those ones. At any rate, chiles are kind of flexible and you could experiment with what you can find. I'm out of my green chile stash for the year so if/when I get around to experimenting, I'll post results.


4c broth or water
2c chopped roasted green chiles, 1/2” squares (it's nice if these are half hot half mild)
2 med tomatoes/ 1c canned crushed tomatoes
2 tsp minced/grated onion (or more!!)
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbs water


Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch) in a saucepan and bring to boil over med-high heat. Simmer with lid off til reduced by about 1/2, about 15 minutes. Add cornstarch and simmer another 5-10 minutes, reducing further. Puree if you want a smooth sauce.

I like to add some cubed beef and maybe potatoes &/or black beans to make green chile stew. Serve with Linsey's yummy tortillas.

1 comment:

2WeeMonsters said...

A note on green chillies: I asked a friend from Austin if green chillies might have another name there and she said sometimes they're called anaheim chillies. I know I've seen mild anaheim type chillies at the grocery stores so maybe this is more achievable than not!