Sunday, November 9, 2008

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

I made hamburger and mushroom pizza on Friday and the crust was so amazingly good. Here is how I made it:

1 teaspoon honey (I let Alex be in charge of this and sometimes she squeezes more in)
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
(This is enough for two pizzas. I typically cook one half of it and save the other half in the fridge for sometime in the next couple of days.)

Preheat oven to 425. Put the water, yeast, and honey in a bowl. Cover and let it sit for about 10 minutes--this should make it foamy. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, separate the dough into two pieces, coat each piece in oil and put in separate covered bowls. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Spread out dough on greased cookie sheets. Bake for about 5 minutes. Take out of oven and spread on sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake for another 15 minutes or so (until cheese looks golden brown).

9 comments:

Christina said...

Yea! We're always looking for a good, easy, preferably whole-wheat pizza crust. Our experiences haven't been so good with homemade crust, but it's so expensive to buy it. We'll be trying this for sure!

2WeeMonsters said...

How come this dough doesn't have to rise? It would be awesome to have a dough that just takes a half hour to make. I always think of making pizza so late in the day that I don't have time to make the dough anymore. Thanks!

Observer said...

No, it does rise--it just only takes about 15 minutes or so. I've seen lots of pizza crust recipes that call for lots of time for rising, but to me, they don't taste any better than what this process yields. Personally, I am not willing to wait much for pizza dough to rise.

2WeeMonsters said...

Cool! I wonder if the honey accelerates the yeast action? (such a geek right here, I know, but I can't help it!)

Observer said...

It definitely does! I always add sweetener to get the yeast going. This recipe also makes for a fun little science experiment for kids. They can really see how the honey and hot water activate the yeast in the beginnning steps.

Christina said...

I made this last night for BBQ chicken pizza and saved half the dough. Tonight, we made calzones. The recipe worked great for 2 fast, cheap, easy, and delicious meals! Thanks, Mandy!

Observer said...

Cool... I love BBQ Chicken Pizza. How do you make calzones?

2WeeMonsters said...

I've made this twice now and it rocks! I love that it actually only takes maybe 40 minutes to get the dough ready & the pizza in the oven!

Linsey said...

Mandy, I remained skeptical until the first bite. This is great. I think we'll start adding pizza as a weekly staple - this is just so fast and easy!!