Friday, November 7, 2008

Migas

In the breakfast thread I totally forgot my favorite breakfast ever. Migas. Oh, how I love thee. I figured Migas were deserving of their own post.

So, if you go out for breakfast anywhere in Texas, south New Mexico or Northern Mexico, you will encounter Migas. From taco stands to IHOP, Migas are everywhere. Basically, Migas are scrambles eggs with left over tortillas. So good. And I'm thinking about Migas because Adam is in Austin eating Migas and breakfast tacos everyday.... sigh. Here is my basic recipe.

5-6 Corn tortillas (no flour, gringas!)
5 Eggs
1 Jalepeno diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
Oil for frying
Handful of cooked black beans, veggies, chorizo, or other savory something
Large handful of cheddar cheese

Heat a couple Tbl of oil in heavy bottomed pan. Tear tortillas into bite sized pieces. Cook in oil with onion until browning around the edges and otherwise soft. Add garlic. Add Jalepenos and other ingredients. Finally add eggs, either scrambled or you can scramble in pan. When eggs are mostly set, add cheese and cover or cook until melted.

Serve with refritos, tortillas, salsa and maybe some potatos. Migas con papas y refritos! Yum!

The word Migas comes from the spanish for crumbs and basically means leftovers. Like omelets, migas are a great way to use up the leftovers from dinner the night before.

5 comments:

2WeeMonsters said...

I love these! I have been eating these all week!! With red peppers and sometimes chard (cause I need to get rid of the chard). It's making me hungry again to read this :)

Christina said...

I hadn't heard of this dish before, but Brian had and was very excited to see it posted! He's tried to make them before without a recipe and it didn't come out the way he wanted. We'll be trying this soon.

Observer said...

Awesome... I thought I knew everything about all things breakfasty. I never heard of this! I always want to buy corn tortillas but I don't because I can never think of enough things to do with them in order to use up a package. I've got to try this. I wonder if this is the kind of thing that's way better in a Mexican restaurant or if it's as easy as it sounds.

Linsey said...

corn tortillas freeze really well. I always buy a package of one or two hundred and keep most of them frozen.

Observer said...

I made this for breakfast today and it was so delicious! I didn't even look at the recipe. I just remember the basic ideas. I used two torn up tortillas, three eggs, garlic, Gruyere and Butterkase cheese. I put salsa on the side. I have a new breakfast obsession now, thanks! One thing I like about Migas is that you can get your starches in without having to specially prepare them on the side (toast, tortillas, potatoes). It is such a pain for me to calculate when to start toasting the bread or baking the home fries and I almost always feel like I could have done a better job. This dish allowed me to bypass that whole issue and still get my carb fix.